Her luck changes when she catches the eye of Josh Kowalski, a rebellious trumpet prodigy and class clown. Josh has also been hurt by Kathy and asks Melinda to help take Kathy down. Mel figures that she has nothing to lose ... and Josh is adorable with gorgeous blue eyes and a winning smile. She agrees to team up with him and looks forward to finally getting back at her rival.
At first, the pair's pranks are silly, and as they work together, Mel comes out of her shell. Even better, she finds herself falling for Josh and it appears as if he might feel the same way about her.
However, their schemes become more and more dangerous and Mel is surprised to discover her dark side. Just how far will she go to get what she wants -- and is Josh really worth the risk?
Melinda is 15 and an only child. Her father is chief of staff at a hospital. Her mother is a musician who is spending a lot of time with her dying father. Needless to say, they don't have a lot of time to spend with Melinda. Though her mother means well, she is always picking on Melinda about her weight, lack of social life, etc. To make things worse, Melinda is picked on by the popular kids at school. A couple highlights of her life are playing the flute and painting.
When she and Josh, a popular boy at school, become friends, Melinda gains some coolness. Together they scheme to get revenge on the kids who had picked on Melinda.
This is a YA book that doesn't just focus on Melinda and Josh and their budding relationship. We get to know their parents and friends. I liked the characters and found them to be real.
I enjoyed the writing style. I found it fast paced. Most of the characters are waaaay younger than me but I didn't feel old while reading it. The language is mature a few times.
I'd recommend this book!
I participated in this virtual book tour and received a copy of this ebook at no charge in exchange for my honest review.
Here are the other blog tour hosts:
- October 31 - VBT Cafe' Blog
- November 2 - Guest blogging at Cindy Vine's Blog
- November 2 - Guest blogging at A Book So Fathomless
- November 5 - Guest blogging at The Official Blog-Zine of Terra Little
- November 7 - Reviewed at Oh Chrys!
- November 9 - Book feature and excerpt at Dream Big, Read Often
- November 12 - Interviewed at Reviews & Interviews
- November 14 - Book feature and excerpt at Blooding Book Reviews
- November 16 - Guest blogging at Wise Words
- November 19 - Guest blogging at Lori's Reading Corner
- November 19 - Interviewed at Talk Story TV
- November 21 - Reviewed at Teena in Toronto
- November 23 - Interviewed at Angels & Warriors Radio
- November 23 - Book feature and excerpt at Library Geek Girl