When Sam's partner inadvertently sees something he shouldn't have, he is brutally murdered. Sam must go it alone and try to find out why. Along the way he is swept off of his feet by a beautiful, Elvis-obsessed TWA stewardess named Amelia Ryan. Sam and Amelia try to unravel the mystery together. On dark and foggy San Francisco nights, trouble is lurking just around the next corner.
When the New York Giants move to San Francisco, that spells the end of the San Francisco Seals (it was a real team who had been there more than fifty years). Sam (a fictional character) is a pitcher. Because his arm isn't what it used to be, he knows he won't get drafted by the Giants. He joins the private detective agency of Jimmy, one of his best friends. Unfortunately, Jimmy gets murdered, leaving Sam to run the agency alone. Around this time as his life is changing dramatically, he meets and falls in love Amelia, a TWA stewardess.
I like mysteries and it was interesting to read one that is set in 1957. Such an innocent time ... so different from today. Can you imagine no Internet or cell phones?! No ipods ... you bought records (apparently Johnny Mathis and the Platters played the "dreamiest make-out" music). Plus stewardesses had rules ... they couldn't be older than 30, be married or engaged, or weigh more than 135 pounds.
I enjoyed the writing style. It was appropriate for its time period with its mention of dames, the clothing worn, manners, etc. I liked the characters ... it was cute to experience the budding relationship of Sam and Amelia. Though attracted to each other, they only "made out" and never the crossed the line ... so refreshing to not get the details we would have gotten had the book been set in today's time. Scattered throughout the book were pictures from that time of the Seals' stadium, TWA stewardesses, San Francisco, etc.
There are pictures from that time period which help set the time period of the book.
This is the first in the Sam Slater series and I look forward to reading more (I've already read the second one in the series, Deadly Plunge.
I participated in this virtual book tour and received an copy of this ebook at no charge in exchange for my honest review.
Here are the other blog tour hosts:
- Monday, November 5 - Interview at Examiner
- Tuesday, November 6 - Guest blogging at Books Books the Magical Fruit
- Wednesday, November 7 - Book feature at Between the Covers (Deadly Plunge)
- Thursday, November 8 - Interview at Laurie’s Non-Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews
- Friday, November 9 - Book review and huest blogging at My Reading Table (Deadly Plunge)
- Tuesday, November 13 - Read-a-chapter at As the Pages Turn
- Wednesday, November 14 - Guest blogging at Night Owl Reviews
- Thursday, November 15 - Book trailer of the week at Pump Up Your Book and book review at Teena in Toronto
- Monday, November 19 - Interview at The Solitary Bookworm
- Tuesday, November 20 - Interview at Literarily Speaking
- Wednesday, November 21 - Book trailer reveal at Beyond the Books
- Friday, November 23 - Book trailer reveal at Rainy Day Reviews
- Monday, November 26 - Interview at Blogcritics
- Friday, November 30 - Book review at Bless Their Hearts Mom (Deadly Plunge)
- Monday, December 3 - Book review at Colletta’s Kitchen Sink (Last of the Seals)
- Tuesday, December 4 - Guest blogging at The Story Behind the Book
- Wednesday, December 5 - Book review at Celtic Lady’s Reviews (Deadly Plunge)
- Thursday, December 6 - Book review at Mary’s Cup of Tea (Deadly Plunge)
- Friday, December 7 - Interview at Broowaha
- Monday, December 10 - Book review and interview at Jersey Girl Book Reviews (Deadly Plunge)
- Tuesday, December 11 - Character letter to Santa Claus at Literarily Speaking
- Wednesday, December 12 - Book review at All Grown Up (Deadly Plunge)
- Thursday, December 13 - Book review at The Self-Taught Cook (Deadly Plunge)
- Friday, December 14 - Book review and interview at From the TBR Pile (Deadly Plunge)
- Wednesday, January 2 - Book review at The Book Connection (Last of the Seals)
- Thursday, January 3 - Book review at Kaisy Daisy’s Corner (Last of the Seals)
- Friday, January 4 - Book review at Colletta’s Kitchen Sink (Deadly Plunge)
- Tuesday, January 8 - Book review at Kaisy Daisy’s Corner (Deadly Plunge)
- Wednesday, January 9 - Book review at Rainy Day Reviews (Deadly Plunge)
- Thursday, January 10 - Book review at Sarah Ballance (Deadly Plunge)
- Friday, January 11 - Interview at American Chronicle