I used a bulky yarn (5) and a 6.5mm needle and made a large size slipper.
To fit lady’s shoe size 5/6 (7/8 - 9/10).
Finished Foot length
Small 5/6 - 9" (23 cm)
Medium 7/8 - 9½" (24 cm)
Large 9/10 - 10½" (26.5 cm)
Beg = Beginning
Inc = Increase 1 stitch by knitting into front and back of next stitch
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
Rep = Repeat
Rem = Remaining
RS = Right side
St(s) = Stitch(es)
WS = Wrong side
Note: The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
- Beg at back, cast on 2 sts.
- 1st row: (RS). Knit.
- 2nd row: Inc 1 st in first st. K1.
- 3rd and 4th rows: Knit.
- 5th row: Inc 1 st in first st. Knit to end of row.
- Rep 3rd to 5th rows 4 times more. 8 sts.
- Next 2 rows: Cast on 10 sts. Knit to end of row. 28 sts after 2nd row. Place marker on last st of last row.
Work in garter st (knit every row) until work from marked row, measures 4½" [11.5 cm]. Place second set of markers at each end of last row.
Knit for a further 3 (3½ - 4)" [7.5 (9 -10) cm] from 2nd set of markers, ending with a WS row.
- 1st row: K3. *K2tog. K3. Rep from * to end of row. 23 sts.
- 2nd and 4th rows: Knit.
- 3rd row: K3. *K2tog. K2. Rep from * to end of row. 18 sts.
- 5th row: *K2tog. K1. Rep from * to end of row. 12 sts.
- 6th row: (K2tog) 6 times. 6 sts.
- Break yarn, leaving a long end. Thread end through rem sts and draw up firmly. Fasten securely. Using a flat seam, sew instep to 2nd set of markers.
- Sew edges of back triangle to cast on sts of sides to form heel.
- Sew a pompom to each slipper if desired.
Considering its been years and years since I've made a pair, I think they turned out okay. Given the thickness of the yarn, I bet they'll be warm!