Aiken offers Cat the team writer position for the following spring but the opportunity is tempered by a curveball of a caveat: she must first spend the winter as a blogger reporting on the Latin American training facility. She is also supposed to look out for Paige, nominally the team’s newest scouting assistant. Being a glorified babysitter and chaperone still beats being an out-of-work sportswriter. Cat reluctantly leaves behind her gorgeous boyfriend, Benji, and accompanies the party girl to sunny Santo Domingo to balance baselines and conga lines.
Paige falls for Chance Hayward, an agent who plays hardball—the figurative kind. Joining them on the field is Paige's ex, Junior DeLeon, one of the coaches who’d really like to score with Cat. When an aspiring player turns up dead, it is up to Cat and Junior to devise a game-changing strategy. Will Cat’s snooping work in her favor this time, or will she strike out ... losing her job, her boyfriend and her life? Curveball follows Big Leagues as Book 2 of the Cat McDaniel Mysteries, also known as the Foul Ball series.
I like mysteries and I like baseball (go, Blue Jays, go!). I'd never heard of this author but the book sounded fun ... and it was.
All Cat wants is a job with the Buffalo Soldiers and she's willing to nanny the owner's daughter, Paige, if that's what it takes. It's only for three weeks ... how hard can it be? But Paige is a spoiled brat with no filters and you can feel Cat's frustration with her. When Paige hooks up with Chance, Cat thinks there is something funky about him and is determined to find out what it is. In addition, she is missing her boyfriend, Benji, who lives in Las Vegas but is feeling a vibe with someone she runs into and knew in university, Junior.
I enjoyed the writing style. It was fast and comical. I didn't find that it dragged. There was a bit of a twist with the resolution and I was satisfied with the ending. The language at times is mature.
This is the second book in the Foul Ball series with Cat McDaniel ... I'm going to look for the first one and read it. This one is a stand alone, though, so you don't need to have read the first one to know what's going on. I hope there's more to come in this series and from this author.
Click here to win a copy of this ebook.
Here are the other tour host participants:
- October 15th: Review, Guest Post & Giveaway~Melissa @ Melissa's Bookshelf
- October 16th: Review & Giveaway~Danica @ Taking It One Page At A Time
- October 17th: Review & Giveaway~Teena @ Teena In Toronto
- October 18th: Review & Giveaway~Paula @ Book Lover Stop
- October 19th: Review & Giveaway~Richard @ 2606 Books and Counting
- October 20th: Review & Giveaway~Kay @ Kaisey Daisy's Corner
- October 22nd: Review & Giveaway~Kriss @ Cabin Goddess
- October 23rd: Review & Giveaway~Dalene @ A Date With A Book
- October 24th: Review & Giveaway~ Terri @ Writing And Other Ways Into and The Heart....For Kids And Sometimes Adults Too
- October 25th: Review, Interview & Giveaway~Suzie @ The Bunny's Review
- October 26th: Review & Giveaway~Aislynn @ Stitch Read Cook
- October 29th: Review & Giveaway~Heather @ Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- October 30th: Showcase Spotlight & Interview~Lance @ Omnimystery
- November 2nd: Review, Guest Post & Interview~Alan @ Electronic Scrapbook
- November 3rd: Review & Giveaway~Vanessa @ Dark Haven Book Reviews
- November 3rd: Interview~Eileen @ Books R Us
- November 4th: Review & Giveaway~Eileen @ Books R Us
- November 5th: Review, Interview & Giveaway~Kathleen @ Jersey Girl Book Reviews
- November 6th: Review & Giveaway~Kathleen @ Celticlady's Reviews
- November 7th: Review & Giveaway~Misty @ The Top Shelf
- November 8th: Review & Giveaway~Lori @ Escape With Dollycas Into A Good Book
- November 9th: Review & Giveaway~Kristi @ Books and Needlepoint
- November 10th: Review & Giveaway~Yvonne @ Socrate's Book Review Blog
- November 12th: Review & Giveaway: Molly @ Reviews By Molly
- November 13th: Review & Giveaway~Louissa @ Words I Write Crazy
- November 14th: Review & Giveaway~Sapphyria's Book Reviews
- November 15th: Review & Giveaway~Cheryl @ Sweeping The USA
- November 19th: Review & Giveaway~Carol @ Carol's Notebook
- November 20th: Review & Giveaway~Jodi @ Words By Webb