In this gorgeous, full-color book with more than 80 photographs, there are 200 recipes to explore and experiment with, featuring the best of North American regional cuisine, as well as globally inspired dishes from cultures around the world.
Each recipe is created with convenience in mind with a good balance of those that require a few extra minutes of preparation versus others where all the ingredients can be added at once.
Most of the recipes serve from four to eight people and can be adapted to every slow cooker size. There are also many recipes that will suit any family from chapters such as Meals for Two and Big-Batch Dinners. With a bit of advance planning, the inspiring recipes in Double-Duty Dinners will turn tonight's dinner into tomorrow's feast, simultaneously banishing that dreaded remark "that again?"
We have a slow cooker and I use it quite often, though not as much in the summer. I like using it so cookbooks with recipes for slow cookers always catch my eye.
The author starts with slow cooker know-how explaining the different parts of the slow cooker and essential tips (preparing what you can ahead of time, the cuts of meat to choose, using whole herbs and spices, etc.). Then she helps you adapt conventional recipes and provides a list of ingredient essentials (canned diced tomatoes rather than whole, using large eggs, crumbled dried herbs rather than ground, etc.)
The recipes in this book sound delicious and include:
- Soups - Lentil Soup with Italian Sausage and Greens, Tex-Mex Tomato Rice Soup, Adobe Sweet Potato and Chile Soup, Manhattan Red Clam Chowder, Kale and Chickpea
- Stews - Sausage, Spinach and White Bean Stew, Pesto Meatball Stew, Pork Paprikash, Country Italian Beef Stew, Lemony Veal Milanese, North African Chicken Stew
- Chili and Beans - Holy Mole Chili, White Bean and Toasted Cumin Chili with Lime Cream, Canadian Maple Turkey Chili, Touchdown Beer Chili and Nachos
- Poultry - Sweet Butter Chicken, Chicken Sausage and Bean Casserole, Chicken in Orange Sesame Sauce, Turkey Bolognese with Spaghetti Squash, Turkey Osso Buco
- Beef and Veal - Pot Roast with Dill Sauce, Mexican Brisket, Beer-Braised Beef, Pizza Meatloaf
- Pork and Lamb - Saucy Pepper Pork, Vietnamese Sticky Pork Chops, Mexican Fiesta Pork, Sausage Lasagna, Uptown Pork and Beans
- Big-Batch Dinners for a Crowd - Layered Cheese Ravioli Lasagna, Barbecue Burger Sliders, Pork Carnitas, Pass-the-Hot-Potato Bar
- Meals for Two - Pantry Corn Chowder, Roasted Pepper Soup, Petite Pot Roast, Pineapple Ginger Pork
- Double-Duty Dinners - Honey Mustard Chicken/Asian Chicken Salad, Chili-Glazed Meatloaf/Italian Meatloaf Parmesan, Cubano Pork Roast/South Beach Pork Panini
- Desserts - Snickerdoodle Cheesecake, Thai Coconut Tapioca Pudding, Almost Cherries Jubilee, Creamy Caramel Blondies, Warm Chocolate Lava Cake.
With each recipe (which look easy to follow), there is a description, the amount of servings and tips. There are lots of colourful pictures. What's missing, though, is the nutritional content ... it would be nice to know the calories, fibre, etc.
Here are some sample recipes ...
As I try the recipes, I'll be sure to blog about them.
I received a copy of this book at no charge in exchange for my honest review.