While Vernetta simply wants justice for her clients, the corporation’s hired gun wants to win ... and she doesn’t care how. On the home front, Vernetta’s infamous sidekick Special has finally found true love. But is the price more than she’s willing to pay?
I enjoyed this book ... a lot!
Vernetta is a caring lawyer representing Judi, Olive and Ida in a discrimination case against their employer, Big Buy. But Judi when gets brutally killed, the focus is on her live-in wannabe-actor toy boy, Phillip ... did he do it for her insurance money? Or was it her soon-to-be-ex husband, Robby, for the same reason? Or did it have something to do with the secret documents re Big Buy? Will the cops on the case figure it out?
Girlie is the prosecutor Vernetta faces who will do anything ... and I mean anything ... to win a case.
Special, Vernetta's best friend, just got engaged to Calvin, who is becoming a Muslim and expects Special to do the same. She's having issues with it, though, because she feels women should be equal, not submissive to men. I can dig it, Sista!
I liked the writing style ... it was fast-paced and kept me wanting to read more. The chapters are short and snappy, which I like. The language and activity is mature at times.
There are lots of characters but I didn't feel like I was overwhelmed and had no problem keeping track of everyone. I cheered for the good guys and wanted the bad guys to get what was coming to them.
The ending was great! There were lots of twists and resolutions which were totally believable.
It's part of a series but works as a stand alone ... I didn't feel like I'd missed anything by just reading this one. I'd like to read her other books.
The author is a practicing lawyer and this is obvious in her writing. The legal system and procedures are described well without being boring.
I participated in this virtual book tour and received a copy of this ebook at no charge in exchange for my honest review.
Here are the other tour participants:
- Tuesday, September 4 ~ review at Reading Rendezvous Reviewz
- Friday, September 7 ~ review at Book Lover Stop
- Thursday, September 13 ~ review at Always With a Book
- Monday, September 24 ~ review at Book Angels
- Tuesday, September 25 ~ interviewed at Book Angels
- Wednesday, September 26 ~ guest blogging at Book Angels
- Friday, September 28 ~ review at Teena in Toronto
- Monday, October 1 ~ review at My Devotional Thoughts
- Tuesday, October 2~ guest blogging at My Devotional Thoughts
- Monday, October 8 ~ review at Jersey Girl Book Reviews
- Wednesday, October 10 ~ review at Psychotic State
- Thursday, October 11 ~ review at Tea Time with Marce
- Monday, October 15 ~ review at The Book Connection
- Wednesday, October 17 ~ review at Get Reading Now
- Thursday, October 18 ~ review at Chrystal’s Corner
- Monday, October 22 ~ review at Review From Here
- Tuesday, October 23 ~ guest blogging at Carol’s Notebook
- Wednesday, October 24 ~ review at Carol’s Notebook
- Friday, October 26 ~ review at Books, books, and more books
- Monday, November 5 ~ interviewed at Laurie’s Thoughts and Reviews
- Thursday, November 8 ~ review at Diva’s Bookcase
- Friday, November 9 ~ interviewed at Diva’s Bookcase
- Friday, November 16 ~ guest blogging at Darlene’s Book Nook
- Monday, November 19 ~ review at Colletta’s Kitchen Sink
- Tuesday, November 20 ~ review at Mommy Adventures with Ravina
- Monday, November 26 ~ review at Popcorn Reads
- Tuesday, November 27 ~ review at My Life. One Story at a Time
- Wednesday, November 28 ~ guest blogging at My Life. One Story at at Time