The first lighthouse on the site, built around 1846, was destroyed by fire and the existing lighthouse on the west pier was built around 1850. The village of Port Dover developed around 1835 at the juncture of the Lynn River and Lake Erie and it soon became an important port for the north-south trade route as well as the east-west St. Lawrence system. At the same time, Port Dover became a center for shipbuilding as well as the budding fishing industry. Port Dover continues to serve the commercial fishing industry as well as recreational fishers and boaters, and its wharf and lighthouse remain vital.





No comments:
Post a Comment