It soon becomes clear, as another young woman--a potential witness--is murdered, that a sex-trafficking operation in Chicago is preying on illegal aliens. As the ill-matched pair dig deeper, an influential alderman and his son are implicated. Then Polanski is framed for a narcotics offense, devastating the cases against the corrupt officers and the alderman. Only when Campello is challenged by a local minister, whom he meets when visiting Polanski, does he find the motivation to seek justice.
St. Jude is the paton saint of lost souls and police officers ... hence the title.
When the story begins, Campello's partner has just been killed. Polanski is being transferred to Campello's district and is assigned as his partner. At his last district, Polanski had blown the whistle on two dirty cops. Campello has problems with this ... he feels you should always support your "brothers" and doesn't hesitate to let Polanski know how he fees. So you can imagine the tension between these two.
They investigate the death of a woman who was found beaten in a garbage bin. As they start unravelling the mystery, it keeps leading them to the son of an alderman, who runs a strip club and a warehouse. Every time they arrest him for something, he is released.
Christy Lee is a spunky reporter who doesn't want to write fluffy stories ... she wants to write meaty ones and will do whatever it takes. She hooks up with an unwilling Campello and eventually they look for justice.
I liked the writing style. It was well-paced. I liked the characters. In addition to be a devoted cop, we also get to know Campello the son ... he visits his dad who is in a home with dementia daily. Polanski is a husband and father who just wants to do the right thing.
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it! It's the first book I've read by this author and I look forward to reading more.
I participated in this virtual book tour and received a copy of this ebook at no charge in exchange for my honest review.
Here are the other tour host participants:
- Monday, November 5 - Book Trailer of the Week at Pump Up Your Book
- Wednesday, November 7 - Interview at Book Marketing Buzz
- Thursday, November 8 - Interview at The Dark Phantom
- Friday, November 9 - Guest Blogging at The Top Shelf
- Monday, November 12 - Interview at Literarily Speaking
- Tuesday, November 13 - Interview at Paperback Writer
- Wednesday, November 14 - Guest Blogging at Murder by 4
- Thursday, November 15 - Book Feature at Moonlight Lace & Mayhem
- Friday, November 16 - Guest Blogging at Miki’s Hope
- Monday, November 19 - Interview at The Book Connection
- Tuesday, November 20 - Guest Blogging at Baking Beauty
- Wednesday, November 21 - Book Review at Miki’s Hope
- Friday, November 23 - Guest Blogging at IceFairy’s Treasure Chest
- Friday, November 30 - Guest Blogging at Busy Mom’s Daily
- Monday, December 3 - Book Review at Jodi’s Book Review
- Tuesday, December 4 - Interview at The Bunny’s Review
- Wednesday, December 5 - Character Letter to Santa at Literarily Speaking
- Thursday, December 6 - Guest Blogging at Day by Day In Our World
- Friday, December 7 - Book Review at Day By Day In Our World
- Monday, December 10 - Book Feature at Literary Winner
- Tuesday, December 11 - Interview at Beyond the Books
- Wednesday, December 12 - Interview at Between the Covers
- Thursday, December 13 - Interview at Review From Here
- Friday, December 14 - Guest Blogging at The Story Behind the Book
- Wednesday, January 2 - Interview at The Writer’s Life
- Thursday, January 3 - Book Trailer Reveal at Manga Maniac Cafe
- Friday, January 4 - Book Review at Teena in Toronto
- Monday, January 7 - Character Interview at Beyond the Books
- Tuesday, January 8 - Interview at Examiner
- Wednesday, January 9 - Interview at Broowaha
- Thursday, January 10 - Guest Blogging at Books Books the Magical Fruit
- Friday, January 11 - Book Review at Bunny’s Reviews
- Monday, January 14 - Book Review at Book Reviews by Molly
- Tuesday, January 15 - Interview at Blogcritics
- Monday, January 21 - Interview at Read It All Reviews
- Tuesday, January 22 - Character Dear Readers Letter at Literarily Speaking
- Wednesday, January 23 - Guest Blogging at Precious Monsters
- Monday, February 4 - Book Review at Celtic Lady’s Reviews
- Tuesday, February 6 - Book Review and Guest Blogging at Workaday Reads
- Monday, February 11 - Book Review at Tales of a Book Addict
- Wednesday, February 13 - Guest Blogging at As the Pages Turn
- Thursday, February 14 - First Chapter Reveal at As the Pages Turn
- Friday, February 15 - Interview at As the Pages Turn