In this gritty crime thriller, a family vacation takes a vicious turn when a fishing camp is invaded by four armed men. With nothing except her brains, her will, and the element of surprise on her side, Alison must kill or watch her family die. And then, things gets worse.
Schoolteacher Allison is talked into going on a fishing vacation by her husband, Hank, and son, Jimmy. She would rather be at the spa (me too!). When they arrive at the camp, they meet the others who will be staying in cabins nearby. The common meeting place is a lodge where they meet for meals. There are no phones or Internet ... definitely roughing it.
Ben Burne is in prison and despite being a model prisoner, has been sentenced to death for his crime. With a month to go before he'll be put to death, Ben does the right thing and offers to donate his kidney to a young woman who needs it. He's not going to need it anymore, right? Wrong!
Ben escapes with the help of his crazy brothers and they head to Canada. On the way, their boat breaks down and that's when things go very badly for the vacationers because that's where the brothers have to stop in for help. Things turn nasty and it's up to Allison to save her family and the others. And yes, things do get worse.
This is the first book I've read by this author and I really enjoyed it. I liked the writing style. It was fast-paced and kept me wanting to read more. The characters were well-developed. I was cheering Allison on. The Burne Brothers were crazy and that comes through. I could feel Hank's desperation and frustration in wanting to help his wife. I'd recommend this book and will look for more by this author.
I participated in this virtual book tour and received a copy of this ebook at no charge in exchange for my honest review. Here are the other blog tour hosts:
- Romance & Inspiration - Jan 17 - Review
- Book Lover's Library - Jan 18 - Review
- Book Lover's Library - Jan 18 - Guest Post
- Books & Beauty - Jan 23 - Interview & Giveaway
- The Top Shelf - Jan 24 - Review
- The Top Shelf - Jan 25 - Guest Post
- Eclectic Books & Movie - Jan 28 - Review
- Eclectic Books & Movie - Jan 29 - Interview
- Teena in Toronto - Jan 30 - Review
- Mom In Love With Fiction - Jan 31 - Review
- Oh Chrys! - Feb 4 - Review
- Peaceful Wishing - Feb 5 - Review
- Peaceful Wishing - Feb 6 - Interview
- Creatures & Crooks - Feb 6 - Review
- CelticLady's Reviews - Feb 7 Review
- Hannah Violin - Feb 8 - Review & Giveaway
- Walk on Words - Feb 11 - Review
- Walk on Words - Feb 12 - Interview & Giveaway
- Reviewing Shelf - Feb 12 - Review