I found the recipe in the Best of Bridge Slow Cooker Cookbook.
- 8 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs (I used drumsticks instead)
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5 tsp (7ml) olive oil
- 1.5 tsp (7ml) butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 30 to 40 peeled chopped cloves garlic (I used bottled minced garlic ... 1 clove = 1/2 tsp ... so I used 20 tsp)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine (all I had to use was sauvignon blanc or bubbly so I went with the sauvignon blanc)
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken broth
- 2 T (30ml) flour
- 3 T (45ml) cold water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I had none so did without)
- Use a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Season chicken well with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Brown chicken on both sides, in two batches. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Drain off all but 1 T (15ml) of fat from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for about seven minutes, until light golden.
- Stir in wine, then broth, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan; bring to a boil.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2.5 to 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced. (I put it on low at 8:30am and we ate at 6pm.)
- Using a spoon, remove excess fat from surface of sauce, if necessary.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth.
- Push chicken and garlic to one side of slow cooker.
- Whisk flour mixture into cooking liquid. Stir to redistribute ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.
When I got everything going this morning, the house smelled like GARLIC ... but when we ate, it wasn't overpowering.
It was delicious and easy to make. I'd make it again!
it is so hard to find a good crock pot recipe that isn't horrible for you, this is one i would try!!! thank you!!
i don't know about all that garlic...
This looks good. Thank goodness for peeled garlic!
Post a Comment