Now there is a shift in nutritional guidelines and there is significantly more scientific information to add. Many experts report that many modern diseases are directly associated with the consumption of wheat and advocate for a reduction in carbohydrates for beneficial health results. Another significant development is the evidence against saturated fat is gradually diminishing. And at the same time, established dietary guidelines are under increasing scrutiny.
Judith Finlayson takes all this conflicting information and balances it with a common sense approach that can be customized according to individual needs. All the recipes are deliciously nutrient-dense and have a balanced approach that will meet a wide variety of needs in an unbeatable combination of appetizing, healthy meals prepared in a slow cooker.
With such a wide range of recipes, from hearty soups to elegant desserts, preparing nutritious and delicious meals strikes the perfect balance between achieving healthy eating habits and assuring great tastes. More recipes feature fresh herbs and spices as well as advocate the benefits of eating sustainably caught fish and pasture-raised meat. Nutritional analysis is provided with each recipe.
This book paints the nutritional big picture with a wide variety of nutrient-dense foods that have been easily and conveniently prepared in a slow cooker.
We have a couple slow cookers (a small one and a large one) that we use fairly often ... plus we like to try to eat more healthy. So that's why this book caught my eye.
The book begins with an introduction about eating healthy. Next is a chapter on using your slow cooker including the basics on size and cooking times, and food safety.
This book includes recipes for:
- Breakfast - Creamy Morning Millet with Apples, Breakfast Rice, Chocolate Atole, etc.
- Starters and snacks - Caramelized Onion Dip, Warm Black Bean Salsa, Yogurt Flatbread, etc.
- Soups - New World Leek and Potato Soup, Southwestern Turkey Chowder, Thai-Style Pumpkin Soup, etc.
- Poultry - Chili with Black Beans and Grilled Chicken, Peppery Turkey Casserole, Indian-style Chicken with Pureed Spinach, etc.
- Fish and seafood - Thai-style Coconut Fish Curry, Poached Halibut with Dill Hollandaise, Shrimp 'n Grits, etc.
- Beef and veal - Onion-braised Brisket, Persian-style Beef with split Peas, Zesty Braised Beef with New Potatoes, etc.
- Pork and lamb - Home-style Pork and Beans, Moroccan-style lamb with Raisins and Apricots, Pork with Pot Likker, etc.
- Vegetarian mains - Ratatouille,Vegetable Chili, Gingery Red Lentils and Spinach and Coconut, etc.
- Sides and sauces - Cheesy Grits, Basic Tomato Sauce, Caramelized Onion Sauce with Arugula, etc.
- Desserts - Basmati Rice Pudding, The Ultimate Baked Apples, Cranberry-spiked Apple Sauce, etc.
There are lots of colourful pictures with recipes plus the ingredients, cooking directions, nutritional data, and tidbits of information including tips, natural wonders and mindful morsels.
I received a copy of this book at no charge in exchange for my honest review.