"Before You Say I Do, Again!" is not a how to book to get back together or to stay together. Instead it takes the gloves off and provides insight as to the issues one must consider before walking down the aisle a second time.
Tackling a serious subject, but presented in a sometimes whimsical fashion, "Before You Say I Do, Again!' puts the brakes on the wedding ceremony and provides the reader with the questions that must be answered before you drive down the path of destruction.
This book is good for anyone who is considering remarriage. It's written by a lawyer and as the description says, it's not a "how-to" book. Instead it gives you things to think about before you do it. Some of the chapters cover:
- Remarrying for love or money
- How to handle loneliness
- Listening to the opinions of your family and friends
- Remarrying for revenge
- Blended families and the Brady Bunch nightmare
Here are some stats:
- Median age at second marriage: Men - 34 ~ Female - 32
- Median age at second divorce: Men - 39.3 ~ Female - 37
- Median duration of first marriages which end in divorce: Men - 7.8 years ~ Female - 7.9 years
- Median duration of second marriages which end in divorce: Men - 7.3 years ~ Female - 6.8 years
- # of years people wait to remarry: Men - 3.3 years ~ Female - 3.1 years
- % of remarried people who reach 5th, 10th and 15th anniversary: 5th - 82% ~ 10th - 65% ~ 15th - 42%
The bottom line is before you get remarried, make sure that you are healthy emotionally and are ready to move on. You can't be carrying the revenge and/or bitterness from your first marriage into your next marriage.
I enjoyed the writing style. Despite the subject matter, it was relaxed and not too technical or boring. There are many stories throughout the book to help you relate to the situation.
I'll leave you with this interesting tidbit from the book. According to Match.com, men who are seeking to remarry look for a woman at least ten years younger than them. There's even a guideline for her age! Take his age, divide by two and add 12 years. So if Gord wants to replace me, he'll apparently be looking for a 41-year-old!
I participated in this virtual book tour and received a copy of this ebook at no charge in exchange for my honest review.
Here are the other tour host participants:
- So Many Precious Books - Feb 3
- Angela Shelton - Feb 4
- Angela Shelton - Feb 5
- Teena In Toronto - Feb 6
- MN Girl in LA - Feb 7
- JoyStory - Feb 8
- Melissa's Midnight Musings - Feb11
- Melissa's Midnight Musings - Feb 12
- My Life - Feb 13
- Books a'la mode - Feb 14
- Live to Read - Feb 15
- Live to Read - Feb 18
- My Devotional Thoughts - Feb 20
- A Book Lover's Library - Feb 21
- A Book Lover's Library - Feb 22
- So Many Precious Books - Feb 25